Florida Smoke Damage Lawyer Serving Southeast and Southwest Florida
While smoke damage typically occurs from a fire within your home, it can also result from a nearby property, structure, or a wildfire. If your home has smoke damage from a fire, you should speak with an experienced smoke damage lawyer. EC Law Counsel has over a decade of experience holding insurance companies accountable and representing clients in Hollywood, FL, and throughout southeast and southwest Florida. Call us today at 954-861-0833.
Will Homeowners Insurance Cover Smoke Damage?
Most homeowners insurance policies include coverage for fire and smoke damage. Often they are combined under the heading of fire insurance. An insurance claim lawyer at EC Law Counsel can review your homeowner’s policy with you to determine the precise extent of your coverage.
The insurance claim process can be complex, especially regarding claims for smoke damage, because the damage is not always obvious. Your insurance policy will contain specific requirements that you must comply with to recover your damages and others that affect the amount you can recover. Some of these requirements include the following:
- Obligation to cooperate
- Timely notice and filing of your claim
- Itemized list of your losses signed under penalty of perjury
Contact an experienced smoke damage lawyer at EC Law Counsel today, and we can guide you through the process.
What Smoke Damage Does to Your Home
Fire and smoke damage can cause extensive damage to a home and its property value. The direct results of fire damage tend to be immediately apparent. Smoke damage, on the other hand, can seep into your HVAC system and spread throughout your home unseen.
When identifying smoke damage in your home for your insurance claim, it is essential to check the following areas:
- HVAC system
- Ceilings and walls, including drywall, paint, and wallpaper
- Curtains, rugs, flooring, and furniture
- Clothing and bedding
- Appliances and electronics
Smoke damage can appear in several ways, but some of the most common include the following:
- Odor in fabric
- Sooty residue on the walls or furniture
- Stripping varnish off floors and furniture
- Tarnished appliances
If your home suffers smoke damage from a fire, start your property damage insurance claim with help from our lawyers at EC Law Counsel.
We Can Help You File an Insurance Claim for Smoke or Fire Damage
Your insurance policy should outline the steps to follow when filing a claim. Generally, you must:
- Notify your insurer
- Take reasonable efforts to limit the damage
- Request estimates from smoke remediation companies
- Complete your insurance claim paperwork
- Provide an itemized list of the damage
You should also take the following steps to protect yourself:
- Take photographic evidence of the damage
- Keep track of all communications with your insurer
- Track all expenses you incur as a result of the damage
- Contact an experienced insurance claims lawyer
Contact an Experienced Insurance Attorney at EC Counsel
At EC Law Counsel, our law firm has over ten years of experience representing clients in southeast and southwest Florida. If you want assistance with a claim or suspect your insurance company is not treating you fairly, we will fight to protect your interests. Call us at 954-861-0833, and speak to an experienced smoke damage lawyer today.